It can be difficult to find dog treats that are healthy, natural and don’t have a bad smell to them. We have put together our list of a few different dog treats for you to try making yourself at home. Your dog is guaranteed to love them as much as any store-bought treats.
Spinach, Carrot and Courgette Biscuits
You will need:
- Cookie cutters – we recommend this KENIAO Stainless Steel Bog Bone and Paw Cookie Cutter Bundle
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 courgette (grated)
- 1 cup baby spinach (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the peanut butter and eggs until well-combined.
- Gradually add the oats and 2 1/2 cups of flour, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky. Add carrot, courgette and spinach, beating just until incorporated.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely and store in an air tight container.
Chicken and Rice Biscuits
You will need:
- Cookie cutters
- 6oz boneless chicken breast (grilled or boiled, and cooled)
- 1/2 cup cooked and cooled rice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine chicken, rice and chicken stock in a mini food processor or blender and pulse until a paste forms.
- Add the flour, salt, egg and chicken paste into a bowl and mix well.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a flat surface and knead the dough until it’s no longer sticky; then roll it out with a rolling pin about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out shapes and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. This recipe yields approximately 32 biscuits using a 3.5″ cookie cutter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until light brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Keep these biscuits in an airtight container for up to one week. These biscuits can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Allow to defrost completely (10-20 minutes) before serving.
Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Treats
These are our favourites! Very easy to make and perfect for cooling your dog down in the summer.
You will need:
- Silicone Mould – we would recommend this silicone ice cube tray.
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 1 large banana
- 4tbsp peanut butter
- Olive or coconut oil cooking spray
- Blend the yogurt, banana and peanut butter together using an electric blender.
- Spray your silicone mould with the cooking oil.
- Fill the moulds around 3/4 of the way up with the blended mixture.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours.
- These will keep for several weeks in the freezer.